Monday 6 September 2010

WARNING - Hackers now claim to be technical help

My laptop is currently away for repair so when a man claiming to be a computer technician phoned my house phone my mam assumed that it was regarding my laptop which had been collected for repair earlier that day.

The "technician" told my mam that her laptop had serious errors and that they were being reported to his computer. He said that if my mam clicked on to Internet Explorer he would show us the errors.

Frustrated that the "technician" wouldn't give a straight answer to any of my mams questions she passed the phone to me. I felt that the phone call was a little strange and as soon as he told me to click onto Internet Explorer I pulled out the internet wire.

Despite the fact that I didn't go on to the website that I was instructed to, the "technician" still managed to disable all of the Norton security software installed on the laptop.

We phoned the TechGuys at PC World who told us that we needed to uninstall then reinstall the Norton software. However this wouldn't work and we ended up having to pay £30 to restore the laptop back to it's factory settings as it possibly had a virus on.

If you get a phone call like this, hang up as soon as possible and check your anti virus software is still working properly.

No comments:

Post a Comment