Sunday 19 September 2010

The Worlds Biggest Half Marathon

Today marks the 30th Great North Run. Thousands of runners will be pounding the streets between Newcastle and South Shields for thousands of reasons.

Unfortunately I can not travel back home to watch the race from my usual spot so I will be watching the TV coverage which is a little strange for me.

For those of you who have never read Denty's Running Blog, Denty (my dad) ran in the first Great North Run on the 29th June 1981. He also happened to beat Geordie hero King Kev Keegan. Because I normally watch the race from the finish line, I have never seen the video footage of this but this morning, four minutes into the coverage my dads first ever running achievement appeared on the telly.

Today my dad will be surrounded by celebrities as he acts as a minder for Nell McAndrew. For the past few years my dad has helped celebs like Nell, Olympic Rower James Cracknell and Coronation Street actor Ben Price.

Photograph by alexlomas

In the last 19 years I have been to hundreds of races watching my dad run but the Great North Run has to be the one with the best atmosphere. The race raises money for so many charities and so many people achieve things that they never thought they would be able to.

Good Luck to all of those that are running today.

1 comment:

  1. One of the best performances this year must be that by Sir Chris Chatterway. Chris Chatterway was one of the pacemakers when Roger Bannister broke the 4 minute mile barrier in 1954. and in this years run, just short of his 80th birthday ran 1hour 51 mins

    ReplyDelete